If you want to know how to clean and de-vein prawns, check this YouTube video.
Cooking time - 15 mins
Serves - 2 or 3
Heat factor - 6.5 on 10 (on a Konkan palate)
- 250 grams Prawns - Cleaned and De-veined - you can retain the tail and legs - looks great
- 3 tsps Pepper powder - Freshly ground - (tip - with mortar and pestle if possible)
- 50 gms Ginger + Garlic paste (if you don't have paste - about 8 cloves of garlic and 1 inch of ginger)
- 4 green chillies
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 1 tsp - Red chilly powder
- 1/2 (half) spoon turmeric powder
- 4 tsps - cooking oil of choice
- 3 spoons - coconut gratings
- 15 curry leaves
- Marinate the prawns with chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt - longer time the better (minimum 30 minutes).
- Smash the green chillies finely with salt and the ginger garlic paste. Ideally use a pestle-mortar again.
- heat oil in a pan and fry onions and curry leaves until onions are reddish brown -
- Add the chilli/ginger/garlic mixture and fry for 2 minutes on a medium flame
- Add prawns now and a little water (about 5-6 spoons)
- Close pan with a lid - keep on a small flame and allow to steam for about 7-10 minutes. Occasionally stir. When the prawns are reddish brown stained- they are ready.
- Add coconut about a minute before you remove from the flame.
- Enjoy as a side-dish with rice and some fish curry!
I was allergic to all crustaceans all through my childhood and twenties. Slowly grew out of it, one prawn at a time. Make sure you de-vein your prawns!