This curry goes GREAT with Seer fish (aka Anjal or King fish) or Pomfret (aka Manji) or Bangde (mackerel) also. Anjal is my current favorite fish (its also called Ishwaan / Iswaan in Konkani, Surmai in Marathi).
The curry in the image below was piping hot - and steaming with an awesome and inviting smell :-)
Serves - 4-6
Time - 20 minutes (separately 1-2 hours for marination).
Clean the fish, smear salt and 1/2 spoon turmeric and 1 spoon of turmeric keep aside for 1-2 hours. The turmeric is a great antiseptic and I recommend for all types of fish.
Method and ingredients:
To dry roast -
- 4 tsp - coriander seeds
- 1 tsp - Jeera (aka cumin seeds)
- 10 - Red chillies
- 1/2 tsp - methi seeds
- 6 - black pepper corns
- 1 tsp - mustard seeds
- Grind all the above roasted items, very finely, with 10 tsps of grated coconut, 1 small onion, 10 garlic cloves and 2 tsps of tamarind.
- Separately, fry half a chopped onion until it turns brown, add 10 curry leaves, 2 green chillies finely chopped and 1/2 inch of chopped ginger.
- Fry this for a couple of minutes until you get a nice fragrance.
- Add the ground masala and about a cup of water - bring it to medium thick consistency.
- Bring this to a boil. Don't add salt yet.
- Add the fish finally - and let it cook for 2 minutes. DO NOT over cook.
- Check and adjust the salt at the end. keep adding a pinch of salt you you get it right. It is always better for it to be less salty than more :-)
MAJOR TIP -
- This curry (like almost any konkan sea food) keeps getting BETTER BY THE HOUR. That is, if you cooked it fr lunch, it will taste better at night and even better the next day. Make sure you preserve it properly.
- The fish is very delicate - handle it with care in the gravy when preparing, serving and preserving, as it might break.
Enjoy your fish curry with steaming hot rice!
You will love these recipes too:
a. Delectable Kundapur CHICKEN CURRY
b. Prawn Pepper Fry / Dry - A Kerala-Konkan delicacy
c. Wet Masala Anjal Fish Fry - Konkani Mangalore Style
d. #1 CLAM RECIPE - Kubay / Kubbe / Tisre Sukke - AWESOME CLAM GINGER MASALA