Time to prepare: 45 minutes
- 300gms - Long grained rice or any fragrant rice (Basmati is good for this) - cleanly washed
- 1/2 cup (50 gms) - Sabudana (aka Pearl Sago or Sago or javvarisi) - cleanly washed
- 1 litre milk
- 500gms - Sugar
- A fistful of raisins and cashewnuts mixed
- 2 cardamoms - crushed nicely
- 1 litre water - to be boiled
- a few strands of saffron - mixed in 2 spoons of warm milk
- In the boiling water - add rice - when it gets half cooked (say 5 minutes) - add the sabudana.
- Make sure rice is cooked properly and the sago turns transparent. Add the cashew and raisins and continue boiling.
- Boil the milk seperately and add to the rice & sago. Add the saffron and cardamom.
- Continue boiling until it thickens more - for about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy as a dessert!