In Konkan cooking - there is no requirement for it to have a curd or buttermilk base - and I have seen 2-3 variations.
Here is the "Jeere - Meere Kadi" - this is a great curry for people suffering from colds and/or indigestion.
Serves - 4
Preparation time - 30 minutes
- 1/2 tsp Cumin (aka Jeera) seeds
- 8 black pepper corns (you can also use the white corns)
- 1" tamarind lump
- 4 tsps oil
- 1 cup coconut gratings
- 4 red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- In a little oil - fry the pepper, chillies and cumin.
- Grind to a coarse paste - above fried items and coconut
- Mix the above with water (to a sambar-like consistency) and bring to a boil.
- Season with mustard and curry leaves.
- Enjoy with hot rice!