But nothing ever compares to the wild mushrooms that are picked during the mushroom season around the Uttara Kanara - Dakshina Kanara region - generally 15 days only in a year.
Here is a very tasty mushroom curry - in a coconut base. This is usually made with the small, white, wild mushrooms - though you can make do with the button variety also.
Serves - 4
Time to prepare - 20 minutes
- 200 gms mushrooms - washed and quartered (keep the stems intact)
- 1 fistful of grated coconut
- 5 red chillies
- 2 medium finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp tamarind thick juice
- Cinnamon - a small stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp whole black pepper seeds - optional
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
Time to prepare: 20 mins
- Mushroom and onions to be boiled in a little water for about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Fry in a little oil - coriander seeds, pepper, cinnamon and cloves and red chillies - until you get a fragrance wafting
- Grind to a smooth paste the above fried items - with coconut gratings and tamarind paste.
- Add the ground paste to the mushrooms - adjust water to a medium consistency - adjust salt.
- Enjoy with hot rice! The mushroom curry gives an excellent umami taste!