"Pongal ke chaar yaar - ghee, papad, raita, achar" - haha the original line had Khichdi. But this can be substituted equally well with Pongal. When we used to live in delhi - I tasted a lot of the north Indian varieties and was stuck with the similarities between Pongal and khichdi.
Time to prepare: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Ven or Khara Pongal:
- 1 cup - Rice (washed)
- 1 cup - moong dal (aka green gram dal) - lightly roasted
- 4 tsps - pure ghee
- 8-10 - black pepper corns (very coarsely ground in a pestle)
- 1" - ginger - peeled and chopped -
- 1 sprig - curry leaves
- 2 tsp - jeera seeds (aka cumin seeds)
- 2-3 tsp - cashews - roasted
- Lightly fry the cumin seeds, pepper seeds. When done - add the ginger and keep aside - allow to cool.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the rice and dal together with 4 cups water - until it is mashable - 4 whistles. When done, add salt carefully, add the pepper/cumin/ginger and remaining ghee.
- Enjoy! Serve with any combination of dahi/raita/chips/papad/pickles!