Note: You need a special Appo Pan for this. Nowadays this is available in all major and minor towns and cities in India :-)Time to prepare: 1 hour in all (including preparation of batter - overnight fermentation required)
- 100gms - Urad dal (aka Black gram dal in Hindi, उड़द in Hindi, ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೇ in Kannada)
- 200gms - uncooked Rice (use the so-called "dosa rice" if available)
- Cooking oil of choice
- The dal and rice is to be soaked in water for 2-3 hours.
- Grind to a fine batter - batter should be thicker than dosa batter - about 25% thicker. After grinding, add salt. Keep this mixture overnight to allow fermentation.
- Heat the appe pan - add a little oil to each of the little compartments - to get a thin layer of oil - fill the compartment with batter. Cover this pan on top.
- After roasting to a slightly golden colour - turn over with a spoon - and roast.
- Eat with Chutney. You can try chutney recipes here - 6 excellent chutney recipes.
a. You can keep the batter for 1-2 days in the fridge. On the second day - add finely chopped onions, green chillies.
b. Secret tip: Tastes mouthwatering if you add "Sapsige soppu" finely chopped - with onions and gren chillies mixed to the batter.