The most common parathas in Delhi were - Gobi paratha, Aloo Paratha, Mooli Paratha (yummy!) and Paneer Paratha. Some variations being the all-vegetable paratha, cabbage paratha, dal paratha etc. These are the classic stuffed parathas. I will be posting these shortly.
This is our take on the Beetroot Paratha - not really the stuffed paratha type. The reason we love this recipe is because of its unique taste, smell and of course color.
Ingredients for Beetroot Paratha:
- 2 cups - wheat flour
- 1 medium sized beetroot - grated - retain the juice that drips out
- 2 - green chillies - finely chopped
- 1/4th tsp - Omum seeds (Oma in Kannada)
- Cumin seeds (aka Jeera in Hindi, Jeerige in Kannada)
- 1/2 tsp - garam masala powder
- Mix all ingredients with water and salt to taste. Knead it well for 10 minutes - same as chappati consistency. Extra flour can be added to maintain consistency.
- Make big-lemon sized balls of the flour - roll and fry.
- Enjoy with pickles, onion and curds!